Start up

This blog has been made as a way to make myself accountable in my language learning endeavors. It has been a dream of mine for more than ten years to become a hyperglot but thus far I have not managed to reach my goal. I believe this is due to not good enough focus on consistent training from my side. This will hopefully change with this new way of making myself accountable. Hopefully others can find motivation in this blog if they so happen to stumble across it.

Before starting I want to clear up my goal, the term Hyperglot as used here, and aslo how many languages I currently speak.

My goal: To become a hyperglot within three years (i.e. B1-B2 in those languages)

Hyperglot: There are many different definitions of hyperglot or hyperpolyglot. They vary between six and eleven as the number of languages one has to be able to speak before being counted as being one. For the sake of making it as clear as possible I define hyperglot as being able to speak eleven languages and up.

The current situation: The current languages I consider myself fluent in are Norwegian (mother tongue), English and Mandarin. In addition to these three I have basic working conversational skills in Dutch, German, Korean and to a certain extent Japanese.

How to reach the goal:
My goal for reaching eleven languages in three years include going after easier languages for me as well as some more difficult ones. If all goes well my goal is to be able to speak these languages by the end of these three years:
1. Norwegian 2. English 3. Mandarin 4. Dutch 5. German 6. Icelandic. 7. Italian 8. French 9. Cantonese 10. Korean 11. Japanese + 12. Spanish

Other languages I will look at during this time will include some south east languages as well as one or two Eastern European ones.

The way I plan to go about this is mostly through Glossika. I have found that flashcards are what seems to be working the best for me and therefor I would like to try to take it through the next level with Glossika.  The reason I fell on Glossika instead of Anki as my main tool is the fact that Glossika goes through the "flashcards" automatically while you have to do it manually for Anki. In addition I plan on using some word lists to get up and running on basic vocabulary as I start each language.

One thing I will try that might be new in the language learning community is that I will try to learn multiple languages at the same time, but only for five minutes a day. At the same time I will have certain languages I focus more on and do longer. My theory is that through this way of learning I will be able to get a head start on languages before I actually start to speak them. I have done it for one week thus far and we will see how it goes.

Hopefully I can give general updates and make sure people see how everything evolve.

B.M.



Kommentarer

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

Week 001